For this project, our group chose to respond to the ideas of Kaitiakitanga and smarter consumption in relation to waste production that places further stress on our environment.
The specific issue we’ve chosen to look at is that of Paper Waste and how we can lessen our consumption of paper and pulp products in an effort to help reduce stress on our environment.
Our small actions were threefold – Reduce the paper we use by lowering font size and double sided printing; Recycle paper that we use instead of throwing it away so that it gets reused instead of wasting away in a landfill; and when applicable forgo paper altogether and instead utilise technological resources instead.
We wanted our design to reflect our chosen content, we looked at visual styles and precedents surrounding paper cutting and print making to inform our design process. We began by designing some basic two dimensional assists that aimed to replicate the feel of coloured paper cut outs, we felt however that our designs felt too flat and wanted to give them some depth. This is what lead us to add aspects of collage into our designs. By incorporating photographic material into our designs it gave it more depth and we felt it fit with our paper cutting ideas as our design process reflected the methods of traditional collage.
Our chosen target audience was people around the young adult range through to mid/late 20’s. Alternatively institutions that deal with younger people, e.g. universities, schools etc. our goal with an institution being to educate and inform the main body of people within an organisation to in an effort to reduce their paper consumption as a whole. Our decision to incorporate pseudo two dimensional design assets reflected this target audience as flatter designs are currently a popular look especially with a younger audience. Due to urging from our tutors however we did incorporate collage for a deeper feel in our works that potentially widened the range of people who would be drawn into the infographic animations.
To manage our time we decided the most efficient method of collaboration would be for one of us to focus on the animation aspects of our project[Ben] and the other to focus on the building and developing of the website[Emma] working to our strengths to maximise our efficiency. During studio times we would collaborate and work together on most aspects of the project, but for our ‘individual study’ between studios we would mostly focus on our own allocated projects within the assignment. We feel that this allowed us to stay relatively on top of our workloads, giving us plenty of time to critique and develop our works between us and our peers, and assist one another in the development of our allocated workload.